After Canada avoided losing to Switzerland in a shootout a few nights ago, I thought the Canadians would be unstoppable last night…I was wrong.
Enter Ryan Miller…though he wasn’t the sole reason USA beat Canada, his was the main reason.
It was one of those games that I will always remember.
If you recall the 1998 Nagano Olympics and Domink Hasek’s performance, it literally elevated his stature to one of the greatest goaltenders of all time. These Olympics may just do the same for Ryan Miller.
By winning, Team USA gets an easier path in the medal round by receiving a bye to the quaterfinals while Canada will have to play Germany in a pre quarterfinal contest and if they win, play a very talented Russian squad.
It all makes for some great hockey ahead as the Olympics head into the final week.
- Miller has a shamrock on his helmet in tribute to Jim Craig from the ‘Miracle on Ice’ Olympic squad from 1980.
- Miller is wearing #39…Hasek wore #39…but it isn’t a tribute to Hasek…Miller wore #39 at Michigan State…cool coincidence though.
- If I was the NHL, I would be po’d that the game wasn’t carried by NBC but on their cable station MSNBC…this was a game that deserved more attention from the network that carries the NHL and what a way to showcase the product.
- This was one game…as cool as victory it was, the USA still has some games to go…it will be interesting to see how they respond after beating Canada.
- Hockey is truly the coolest sport on the planet.